Search This Blog

18.3.11

Wednesday December 8th

Lazy morning today.  Early afternoon, I wired up the plug on the bike for the heated jacket Judy got me for Christmas (early gift).  Later I shined the scooters up for a trip to bike nite at the Coyote Ugly Saloon in the French Quarter.

We took the back roads into the city rather than the interstate.  Went through the towns of La Place, Norco, New Spary, Kenner, and Metairie.  We passed several residential areas and about a dozen shopping centers and malls.  We noticed, that much like when we were in Memphis, almost no one decorates for Christmas.  At least not like back in Pittsburgh anyway.  We only saw a few homes with lights outside, and none of the shopping centers or business districts had decorations on the buildings or light poles.  Downtown New Orleans had a few on Canal Street, but not many other places.  I guess outside decorations are not the norm down here.

Anyway, we pulled up in front of Coyote Ugly and the bouncer immediately ushered us to the VIP parking in front of the door.  However, much to our surprise, the total number of bikes at bike nite was TWO!  Juju's and mine.  Apparently, 46 degrees is too cold for anyone to ride down here.

So, after a cold beverage, a chat with the bar top dancer, and giggling at the relatively small braziers hanging from the ceiling, we mounted up and went in search of food.

The ride back took us to Dot's Diner in Metairie.  A classic diner with little booths and high stools at the counter.  I finally got to try a local favorite...a PO-BOY!  I got the fried shrimp version.  A tasty sandwich, but I don't care what they say, it's nothing more than what we call a hoagie and others call a sub.  Regardless of what kind you order, a fully dressed one means lettuce, tomato and pickle.  The locals will argue with you that a Po-boy is NOTHING like a hoagie.   Whatever!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You are correct, Po-Boys are hoagies or subs. You want to try a Muffaletta – a sandwich made with Italian meats, cheeses and a special olive salad. The more expensive it is, the more meat and cheese. I even brought one home for my brother. But I think I ate it myself. - lol Outdoor coffee shops are the place to hang out usually when the temp dips, and locals want to keep warm. My ex-boyfriend was from Metarie Parish, so visited there often. Have you tried the red-beans and rice? Also, a favorite of mine. But I like Andouille sausage on the side. Eat as much of it as you can. There is nothing like it around these parts. If you buy in grocery store, make sure it cook it super good, even ask how long you should cook it. Also, did you pinch the tail and suck the heads of the crawfish. I wouldn't suck the head, but lots do. YUCK!!!!